Topkapı Palace is the residence of the Ottoman sultans, and the center of state administration and education. Built by Mehmed the Second, the conqueror of Constantinople, between 1460 and 1478, and with some additions constructed since then, Ottoman sultans and the Palace folk have lived in the Palace until the mid-19th century.
In the beginning of 1850s, Sultans moved to Dolmabahçe Palace in the Bosphorus since the existing Palace was inadequate in meeting the requirements of 19th century state protocol and ceremonies. However, treasure of the reign, Holy relics and the imperial archives have been preserved in the Topkapi Palace, since it was a family home and hosted the Holy Relics, and state ceremonies were continued to be held here. Topkapı Palace, after the Ottoman monarchy was removed in 1922, was converted into a museum on April 3rd 1924 with Mustafa Kemal Atatürk’s orders.